Wexford Bridge is a 383m seven span bridge across the river Slaney in Wexford Town. The original prestessed concrete bridge on the site constructed in 1959, was seriously defective with high levels of chloride, corroding reinforcement and prestessing anchors as well as spalling concrete. The bridge links 400 sq km of mainly rural hinterland to the principal town in the region.
Wexford County Council appointed J. B. Barry and Partners Limited to investigate the repair or replacement of the bridge. The most economical, over the long term, and the least disruptive option was to replace the prestressed concrete superstructure with a steel girder bridge. The practice prepared the design and contract documents for the conventional procurement contract. By innovative design and detailed planning the superstructure replacement was carried out during a 10 week bridge closure.